We wish to unleash the potential of theatre and the related arts towards the making of a creative, imaginative, humane world.
Our current programmes include:
- Mumbai Local- monthly addas with artists and scientists in 3 venues across Mumbai, open and free to all. To see videos of our sessions, click here. We are currently at 3 venues across Mumbai:
- 1st Sat, MCubed Library, Bandra (W)
- 2nd Sun, Bhau Daji Lad Museum, Byculla (E)
- 3rd Fri, Kitab Khana, Fort
- Arts at Play with Schools - an immersive week-long programme offered to schools annually, for batches of 500 students. It encompasses a variety of rich engagements with diverse art forms and inpsiring interactions with arts professionals. This programme is available across India. Read more about it here.
- Capacity Building workshops/interactions - These are ongoing workshops with artists, often based on peer-sharing mixed with expert input, to build their capacity to engage with public, work with young people as well as to simply share knowledge and skills amongst themselves. Some of these workshops/interactions are built into the programmes above, while others are standalone, usually arising in conversation with the artists themselves.
We also believe strongly in working in collaboration and partnership with like-minded organisations to strengthen arts practice and bring unique arts experiences to people. Our collaborations/partnerships this past year include:
- SMART (Strategic Management in the Art of Theatre) - a 4-month capacity-building programme for theatre groups, which develops their management skills in response to their needs and realities, to enable the greatest possible effectiveness of their work and vision. SMART is run under the umbrella of the India Theatre Forum with Junoon and the India Foundation for the Arts as the Managing Partners. The second year of this programme will begin in 2016. You can find out more here.
- H20 - a show on water for toddlers by the German theatre company Helios Theater, brought to India by the Goethe Institut. There is not much exposure to theatre for toddlers in India, and this was a unique opportunity to share such a show with Mumbai audiences. So we partnered with Goethe Institut/Max-Mueller Bhavan Mumbai and Sitara Studio to present 2 shows, one for public and one for children from NGOs. Take a look at the photographs here.
- Across Not Over - a contemporary dance performance, supported by the India Foundation for the Arts (IFA) and born out of a unique collaboration between a Kathak dancer and a contemporary dancer. We felt it would be a shame if Mumbai missed out on this unique grantee showcase of IFA, and partnered with them to make it possible in the city. You can see the photographs here.
- Water Stories - An evening of performance on the theme of water, conceived and created with artists for the Nehru Science Centre's Water for Life exhibition and festival. This was produced in partnership with the Nehru Science Centre. Take a look at the photographs here.
- Drama.nama - This was an evening of sharing theatre, ideas and journeys. We partnered with Tamaasha Theatre, Jana Natya Manch and Sitara Studio to create an evening where artists got together and shared work, practices, conversations and theatre of resistance and protest. This was part of Freedom Jatha - a tour across India by The Freedom Theatre (Palestine) and Jana Natya Manch (New Delhi). You can take a look at the pictures here.